August 8, 2008

Word of the day

     I was browsing the dictionary (online, of course... browsing the dictionary is hard enough, let alone actually getting off my chair and searching my bookshelf for one), and came across the "word of the day". I suddenly got a jolt of excitement; what? A new word, especially typed and posted up for this of all days? It made me curious. Whatever could this newfound vocabulary be used for? Could it be an adjective, a verb, or even-my heart skipped a few beats- an adverb?! I inched my finger over my laptop's touch sensor, closer and closer until, finally, I slid my hand over the clicker. A deep gulp of air slithered down my anxious throat, and I did it: I clicked. However, in contrary to the exciting, fresh, and even hip word I was expecting; the internet page was plastered with the following:

vexillology \vek-sil-AHL-uh-jee\, noun:
The study of flags.

     The study of flags. The big climax. Not quite as fantastic as I thought it'd be. It got me thinking: when exactly would you use the word "vexillology"?

     Oh no! Little Jimmy climbed up the flagpole, and now he's stuck again! But this time, the flag's pulley won't work. Does anybody in the crowd know anything about flags? No?! Whatever shall we do? We have to call somebody... quick: get out the phonebook! Oh, damn... what's the person who studies flags called? LITTLE JIMMY IS GOING TO DIE. I knew I should've looked at the word of the day.

     Well, there you have it. If you ever are in need of an emergency flag-studying experiment, you know how to find the vexillilogist you need. You learn something new every day; whether you need it... or not.

Stay Posted;

Jade-Caitlin =)

No comments: